Monday, March 12, 2007

Bipolar Festival

So Amanda and I went to go see "Corteo" put on by Cirque Du Soleil about a week ago. I was the one who was really excited about it, whereas Amanda was just kinda along for the ride. I had been once before, when I was living in Florida. They have "La Nouba" stationed in Orlando, and THAT is an amazing show. So I expected about the same thing.

It wasn't, at least not really.

"Corteo" is the most varied show I have ever seen. The audience will literally be on the edge of their seat not taking a breath one moment, and then a few minutes later they will be dozing off from boredom. It's just very weird to see an amazing show of acrobatics (big hulking guys flinging people back and forth over a big trampoline, eight people on a single set of paralell bars) followed by two midgets putting on a puppet show.

Speaking of midgets, I'm sure you are all aware of the old stereotype in which the circus is accompanied by various side shows featuring giants, freaks, midgets, dwarves, and other interesting things. I, for one, assumed that was very ridiculous and fake. No, Cirque du Soleil aparently feels it wise to pursue those stereotypes further. There was a deformed dwarf, a literal giant, a couple midgets, and some other interesting people. In the days of political correctness, these people likely get paid BIG money just for appealing to the audience's stereotypes.

If you ever have the chance to see a show by Cirque, go see it. That is, unless it's called "Zumanity"....

Don't bother getting expensive tickets though. Every seat is fine.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Wow, they really have the "circus freaks". I also thought that wasn't PC, and you'd think they'd want to be PC for such a popular show. Interesting.